Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Who Is Stan Lee?



The Who Is/Was Series has been around for some time.  I have heard it called the "Bobblehead" Series, or "those big-headed people" books, but whatever the name, the books are a great way for students to get to know some interesting historical and current day people.  With the amazing rise of superheroes in our culture, I thought that I would read about the man who seems to be at the core of the superhero universe.  You will not be surprised to find out that Stan Lee, the recognizable creator of the Marvel Universe, has been writing and creating comic book characters since he was eighteen and became the editor of Timely Comics.  From then he had an up and down ride in the comic book world, but more recently finding huge success in Hollywood.  He shows up in a cameo role in almost all of the Marvel Studios productions.  He was even in an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I watched last night!

On a personal note, I am always surprised and proud to see any mention of my grandfather in a book. It turns out that Stan Lee volunteered for the army during World War II, and worked in a similar role as my grandfather, Frank Capra, as a "playwright"writing slogans, manuals, and training films.

Check out the many books in this great series from your local or school library!

If you like comics and would like to read more, here is a great website called Kids Read Comics!  Check them out and you can even vote for your favorite comics for their Kids' Comics Revolution Awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment