Friday, May 29, 2015

Junior Sasquatch Award, AKA OTTER Award

In Washington State, our middle grades children's choice book award is known as the Sasquatch Award.  For years, I have challenged the 4th, 5th , and 6th grade students to read all twelve books on the list, tempting them with medals, certificates, and of course, pizza.  This year, we lost our 6th grade to the middle school, and I have had only two students finish reading all twelve.  I thought that maybe we need another level of books, a little easier, to entice students to keep reading for a goal of twelve books.  As a group, my district librarians came up with a new list to Beta test.  Next school year I will challenge the 2nd and 3rd grades to read all 6 on the new Otter list, and then challenge the 4th and 5th to read twelve books from either list.  The librarians in another district are trying a similar course of action after finding that the Sasquatch list was a little too hard for most of their K-5 students as well.

Here is our list, and I am excited to see how this goes!
Image result for princess in black  
 Image result for year of billy miller 

If you are a Washington State librarian and would like to try out the Otter Award, feel free, and then let me know how it goes.  Maybe we could make this an award through WLMA, along with the Sasquatch Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment